The 12 Most Romantic Cities in Europe
Planning a romantic city-break? Whether you’re planning an anniversary celebration in Europe, a special Valentines weekend or you simply want to find the most romantic cities in Europe for your next trip away, this guide has got you covered.
Solo travellers: you don’t need to be part of a couple to have a romantic weekend away! Treat yourself to some special time on your own. I love strolling along the Champs-Élysées, or having coffee in a romantic Parisien cafe on my own. You can find still find these locations beautiful and romantic, despite being in your own company. I view it as a real treat. So book that romantic trip for one – you’re worth it!
The 12 Most Romantic Cities in Europe – Introduction
This guide contains information about the 12 most romantic destinations in Europe. Each section contains recommendations for the most romantic things to do in each city, including the best romantic tours for couples.
You will also find my handpicked suggestions for the most romantic hotels (at different price points).
There is a map at the bottom of the post to show you where each romantic city in Europe is located.
I may earn a commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase through my affiliate links.
The 12 Most Romantic Cities in Europe – The List
1. Rome, Italy
Rome‘s beautiful architecture and monuments provide a backdrop for romantic strolls along its cobblestone streets. You can take in the sweeping views from St. Peter’s Basilica or marvel at iconic ancient sights like the Colosseum.
Rome is also a popular honeymoon destination, and some believe it could also be the origins of the word ‘romance’ itself.
Romantic things to do in Rome
In addition, there are some wonderful tours for couples in Rome – here are my favourites:
- Private Early Bird Vatican Tour. Private tour and interactive experience, perfect for couples. This tour can be amended to your own requirements of the Vatican and surrounding area.
- Sunset Rome Food Tour . Sunset tour including pizza, cheese and cured meats. You will meet the artisan creators of the amazing foods you try.
- Ancient Rome and Colosseum Private Tour. Skip the line and view off-limits areas like the arena and underground sections with this luxury tour.
- Fettuccine & Maltagliati Pasta Class in Rome. A private cookery session exploring traditional recipes with a local chef. You will make pasta from scratch, before sitting down to a hearty meal of Italian specialities.
- Food and Wine Guided Pairing Dinner in a Unique Venue. Wine and dine in a private cellar near the famous Pantheon. Enjoy an indulgent dinner paired with fine Italian wines.
Romantic Hotels in Rome
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Rome (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: Singer Palace Hotel
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: Lifestyle Suites Rome
- Budget Romantic Hotel: Hotel Romano
You can see all current hotel deals in Rome here. I recommend reserving your room immediately to lock in the price, even if you have to cancel it later (this is usually free of charge).
You may also be interested in my post 17 Things to Know Before Visiting Rome.
2. Paris, France
Paris, or the City of Lights (also called the City of Love), is one of the most romantic cities in Europe. Enjoy a boat ride on the Seine River or take a leisurely walk through Champs-Élysées and admire iconic landmarks like the Eiffel Tower.
In addition to sightseeing, you can also find amazing eateries all over Paris where you can sample delectable French cuisine.
Romantic things to do in Paris
Most things to do in Paris are romantic! Visiting the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and the Palace of Versailles for starters. You could also enjoy a picnic in one of Paris’ many parks or even visit Disneyland Paris.
In addition, here is a selection of my favourite romantic tours in Paris:
- Bateaux Parisiens Seine River Gourmet Dinner Cruise. Enjoy a beautiful evening in Paris on a gourmet dinner cruise along the Seine River. Tip: get on the 20:30 sailing to receive free champagne!
- Moulin Rouge Cabaret Show with Champagne and Dinner. The famous Moulin rouge show is a dazzling spectacle of drama, dance and music.
- Paris Private Wine & Cheese Tasting. 2-hour private cheese and wine tasting experience including 4 renowned wines and 3 varieties of cheese.
- Paris Private Romantic Horse & Carriage Ride. What could be more romantic? Cosy up in your carriage as you pass iconic sights like the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe.
- Loire Valley Castles & Wine Tasting Day Trip from Paris. Full day tour where you can marvel at the Loire Valley’s plentiful châteaux whilst tasting locally-made wine.
Romantic Hotels in Paris
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Paris (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: Le Narcisse Blanc Hotel & Spa
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: Hotel Grand Paris
- Budget Romantic Hotel: Hotel Langlois
Check all current hotel deals in Paris here. Reserve your room early without having to pay anything upfront. Most Booking.com hotels offer free cancellation.
3. Prague, Czech Republic
This stunning city offers a unique blend of old-world charm and modern amenities. Wander through centuries-old cobblestone streets lined with grand buildings, enjoy breathtaking views from one of Prague’s bridges, or take in all that this romantic city has to offer from a tour boat on the Vltava River.
The most romantic cities in Europe: Romantic things to do in Prague
Prague is one of the most romantic cities in Europe. You can take a romantic boat ride on the Vltava River, explore Prague Castle, or walk around Petřín Hill and take in its stunning views of the city.
Here are some of my top picks for the perfect romantic tours in Prague:
- Mozart Concert & Dinner in Prague. Experience the romantic music of Mozart at this concert-dinner experience for couples in Prague.
- Prague Boats Crystal Dinner Cruise. Glide past illuminated castles and cathedrals with your loved on on this evening dinner cruise on the Vltava River.
- Old Timer Convertible Car Sightseeing Tour. Tour Prague in style, looking cool in your historical convertible classic car as you tour through the city.
- Best of Prague: City Walking Tour, Boat Cruise and Czech Lunch. See Charles Bridge, Lesser Town, the Jewish Quarter, Old Town and Prague Castle on a city walking tour of Prague. Includes a traditional Czech lunch and a 1-hour boat cruise on the Vltava River.
Romantic Hotels in Prague
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Prague (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: The Mozart Prague
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: Hotel Pod Veží
- Budget Romantic Hotel: Josephine Old Town Square Hotel
Check all current hotel deals in Prague here. You can reserve straight away without paying anything, with free cancellation up to the day before you travel.
4. Budapest, Hungary
Budapest is the perfect city for couples who want to experience a bit of everything. This fairytale city is a popular destination for exploring stunning castles, admiring the views and enjoying fine Hungarian cuisine.
Romantic things to do in Budapest
Budapest is a romantic city indeed. Take a stroll on Margit Island, soak in the thermal baths, experience nightlife on the Danube Promenade, and dine with a view at one of the city’s many rooftop restaurants.
In addition, here are some handpicked romantic tours available for couples in Budapest:
- Candlelit Dinner Cruise by Legenda City Cruises. A romantic candlelit dinner with live music, cruising along the Danube river with your loved one.
- Hungarian Wine Tasting (with Cheese and Charcuterie). Let a sommelier guide you through a traditional Hungarian wine and cheese tasting.
- The Famous Hungarian Beer Spa. Beer may not seem romantic, but this is a uniquely romantic pampering experience at a traditional bath house for two.
- Romantic Boat Cruise on Valentine’s day in Budapest. Beautiful cruise with cakes and a bottle of champagne included.
Romantic Hotels in Budapest
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Budapest (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace Budapest
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: Hotel Vision
- Budget Romantic Hotel: Hotel Orion Várkert
Check all current hotel deals in Budapest here. Most rooms have free cancellation. Reserve your room straight away to lock in the price.
5. Florence, Italy
With its winding streets and renaissance architecture, Florence is a stunning addition to this list of the most romantic cities in Europe. Here you can experience some of the best Renaissance art and architecture in Europe, as well as plenty of fine dining options.
Most Romantic Cities in Europe: Romantic things to do in Florence
Visit the iconic Duomo di Firenze, explore the many art nouveau galleries and museums of Florence, go on a romantic boat ride along the Arno river, and watch the sunset from Piazzale Michelangelo.
Here are some wonderful romantic tours for couples in Florence:
- Florence River Cruise on a Traditional Barchetto. Cruise under the iconic Ponte Vecchio bridge whilst you sip prosecco with your loved one on the Arno River.
- Florence Dinner & “Three Tenors” Concert. Traditional concert experience with Florentine food and culture abound.
- Romantic Michelin-Starred Dinner at Villa Bardini Museum with Views of Florence. 5-course tasting dinner at a beautiful 17th-century villa restaurant and museum. Includes a museum viewing and a rooftop spectacular for couples.
- Tuscany Hot Air Balloon Flight. Soar over the gorgeous Italian countryside on a scenic flight in your own private hot air balloon, with sparkling wine.
Romantic Hotels in Florence
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Florence (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: Hotel Savoy
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: Hotel Calimala
- Budget Romantic Hotel: Hotel Villa Liana
Check all current hotel deals in Florence here. Reserve your room early without having to pay anything upfront. Most Booking.com hotels offer free cancellation.
6. London, United Kingdom (England)
London may be one of the busiest cities in Europe, but it still manages to offer plenty of ways to get romantic with your partner. You may find some more inspiration in my post 20 Must-See Attractions in London.
There is also no shortage of fine dining in London – you can find everything from traditional British fare to Michelin-starred restaurants.
Romantic things to do in London
There is no end of romantic things to do in London. Take a romantic stroll through Hyde Park or Kensington Gardens then enjoy dinner and show at The Globe Theatre or the West End. Admire the artwork in the Tate Modern gallery, get cosy over Afternoon Tea, or take a romantic dinner cruise down the River Thames.
In addition, here are my favourite romantic tours in London:
- Best of Royal London: Tower of London, Changing of the Guard and Cruise. Discover London’s royal history from water and land.
- Royal Welcome with Red Carpet Treatment. Red carpet welcome at Heathrow airport. Bouquet of fresh flowers, Belgian chocolates and bottle of Champagne included.
- Seven Wonders of London with VIP Guide. See the highlights of London in luxury with a private driver and Mercedes E Class. Includes refreshments.
- Thames River Sightseeing Cruise with Afternoon Tea. Combine an iconic British tradition with a unique sightseeing excursion – Valentines upgrade available.
- Thames Dinner and Jazz Cruise. This is my absolute favourite dinner cruise on the thames. The food, service and live music are all impeccable – highly recommended.
- Luxury London Bus Ride and Gourmet Dinner. Gourmet tour of London with a difference – you’re on a bus with a panoramic glass roof!
The last tour on my list above might seem a bit random, but honestly it is brilliant! I was slightly sceptical when I first tried it, but the Bustronome remains one of the best things I have ever done in London.
Romantic Hotels in London
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in London (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: Shangri-La The Shard, London
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: The Resident Covent Garden
- Budget Romantic Hotel: The Cranley Hotel
Check all current hotel deals in London here. Remember you can usually book your room straight away without paying anything, and you can also cancel free of charge up to the day before you travel.
7. Amsterdam, Netherlands
Amsterdam is full of pretty canals and cobblestone streets which are perfect for romantic walks. Explore its world-famous museums, or take in this charming Dutch city from a bike ride around town. Also you can’t forget to indulge in some delicious Dutch treats, like poffertjes and oliebollen.
Romantic things to do in Amsterdam
Amsterdam is one of the most romantic cities in Europe for good reason. Take a romantic stroll through the city, enjoy a bike ride around town, eat at one of the outdoor cafes, explore the canals on a cruise, visit the Van Gogh Museum or sample some Dutch delicacies.
Here are my romantic tour picks for Amsterdam:
- Private Romantic Night Canal Cruise in Amsterdam. Feel the romance of Amsterdam at night on a private boat for two. Silent electric boat with champagne and nibbles.
- Amsterdam Wine and Cheese Evening Cruise. Aboard a glass-enclosed boat, admire beautiful waterfront views and UNESCO-listed canals as you sip wine and enjoy delicious snacks.
- Romantic tour in Amsterdam. Private walking tour which also includes museums and UNESCO world heritage streets.
- Haarlem City, Canal Cruise & Zaanse Schans Windmills – Private Day Tour. Visit to the Zaanse Schans, Haarlem and canal cruise with snacks such as Dutch waffles and beer.
- Private Van Gogh Museum Tour in Amsterdam. In this private Van Gogh Museum Tour, you will get a personal experience with your private expert guide.
Romantic Hotels in Amsterdam
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Amsterdam (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: Hotel TwentySeven
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: The Hendrick’s Hotel
- Budget Romantic Hotel: No 377 House
Check all current hotel deals in Amsterdam here.
8. Edinburgh, United Kingdom (Scotland)
Edinburgh is one of the most romantic cities in Europe. From its old-world charm and cobblestone streets to its stunning architecture, Edinburgh has a timeless beauty that can’t be matched.
Whether you’re exploring the city’s medieval Old Town or admiring the views from Arthur’s Seat, Edinburgh makes for a perfect getaway destination for couples. Edinburgh is also home to plenty of romantic restaurants and pubs, so you can enjoy a cosy candlelit dinner or a glass of whisky together.
Romantic things to do in Edinburgh
My romantic suggestions include: visiting Edinburgh Castle, wandering through the Royal Botanic Garden, exploring Arthur’s Seat for spectacular views of the city. Take a stroll along the Royal Mile, visit one of the city’s romantic castles, take a day trip to nearby Loch Lomond.
Here are my curated romantic experiences in Edinburgh:
- Old Edinburgh Private Walking Tour. Stroll through Edinburgh’s ancient streets on this wonderful private tour together.
- Scottish Highlands and Hogwarts Express Tour. Harry Potter-themed trip into the Scottish Highlands, including a special Jacobite steam train ride.
- Edinburgh Food & Drink Private Tour. Get a taste of Edinburgh on this private guided tasting tour. All food and drinks included.
- Edinburgh Afternoon Tea Experience. A British afternoon tea on a vintage Routemaster bus tour. You will see famous landmarks like Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace as you enjoy fresh scones, sandwiches, and tea.
Romantic Hotels in Edinburgh
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Edinburgh (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: Tigerlily Hotel
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: Hotel Du vin & Bistro
- Budget Romantic Hotel: Malmaison Edinburgh
Check all current hotel deals in Edinburgh here. Early reservations and late cancellations are usually free of charge on Booking.com.
9. Vienna, Austria
Vienna is the perfect destination for couples who are looking to experience a mix of art, culture and romance. Enjoy a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride around the city or take in stunning views from the top of St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Couples can also explore Vienna’s imperial palaces and gardens before enjoying some delicious Viennese cuisine.
Romantic things to do in Vienna
Popular romantic choices in Vienna: Take a guided tour of the city, visit one of the many museums, explore the imperial palaces and gardens, take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride around town.
See below for my romantic picks for tours in Vienna:
- The romantic side of Vienna (Fall in love again) – Private tour with a local. A romantic walk around Vienna. Visit popular and hidden places that are off the touristic path.
- Private Vienna Woods Wine Tour. Learn about Austrian wine with this private tour. Includes a hike through winelands and lunch at a winery.
- Romantic 2-day Private Tour from Vienna to Venice, Italy. Visit Venice during your stay in Vienna! Includes tasting traditional Austrian food on mountain shores, glassblowing experience and sunset gondola ride.
- Vienna Classical Concert at St. Peter’s Church. Romantic concert in an atmospheric church environment. Music from classical composers such as Mozart, Vivaldi, Bach, Schubert, and Beethoven.
- The “Love in Vienna” Box Walk. During a romantic walk through Vienna’s city centre, couples can better get to know each other and the city centre.
The Most Romantic Cities in Europe: Romantic Hotels in Vienna
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Vienna (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: Hotel Sacher Wien
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: The Harmonie Vienna, BW Premier Collection
- Budget Romantic Hotel: Hotel Schneider-Gössl
Check all current hotel deals in Vienna here.
10. Bruges, Belgium
Bruges is a small city in Northern Belgium that has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This romantic setting offers stunning views of canals, quaint cobblestone streets lined with old buildings, and terracotta rooftops. Don’t miss tastings of Belgian beer, Belgian chocolates and Belgian waffles too!
For reference, Bruges is the same place as ‘Brugge’, but not the same as Brussels – that is a different city entirely. In the image above, the building on the left is one of the most romantic hotels in Bruges, and is my luxury hotel pick below.
Romantic things to do in Bruges
Bruges is perfect for a romantic getaway. Enjoy a romantic boat ride along the canals, explore historic churches and buildings, enjoy some delicious Belgian food, or take a leisurely stroll through one of Bruges’ many parks.
Recommended tours in Bruges include:
- Private Balloon flight over Bruges. Discover Bruges from the sky by taking a romantic private hot-air balloon tour over the historic Belgian city.
- Love, Architecture & Art of Bruges. A romantic walking tour through several of Bruges’ landmarks, canals, and architectue. Includes artisan handmade Belgian chocolate tasting.
- The Waffles ‘n Beer Workshop. Learn how to make waffles in their birthplace, and sample local beer while you’re there. Great romantic fun thing to do in Bruges.
- Belgian Chocolate Workshop in Bruges. This workshop teaches couples to make chocolate from scratch, rather than just dipping things in chocolate. Take home more than 35 pieces of chocolate each.
- Incredible Bruges – Walking Tour for Couples. Explore the romantic side of Bruges. See fascinating local heritage sites and iconic attractions with your partner.
Romantic Hotels in Bruges
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Bruges (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: Relais Bourgondisch Cruyce, A Luxe Worldwide Hotel
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: Boutique Hotel Sablon
- Budget Romantic Hotel: Hotel De Stokerij
Check all current hotel deals in Bruges here. Reserve your room early without having to pay anything upfront. You can usually cancel free of charge.
11. Lisbon, Portugal
This vibrant city offers couples breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful monuments that offer a glimpse into its rich history. Take in stunning vistas from atop one of Lisbon’s many hills, explore old castles or sample some delicious local cuisine.
Most of the European cities on this list are not beach destinations, but Lisbon has several beaches within easy reach of its centre.
Most Romantic Cities in Europe: Romantic things to do in Lisbon
Take a romantic cable car ride over the city, explore the cobbled streets of the old town centre, take in views from atop one of Lisbon’s hills, or visit some of its many churches and monuments.
My curated Romantic picks for Lisbon include:
- Sunset Sailing Tour on a Luxury Sailing Yacht. Experience Lisbon’s beauty as you sail round the coast at sunset – complete with wine and appetisers.
- Private 8-hour tour of Lisbon with driver and official guide. This is an excellent tour for first-time visitors to Lisbon. See all the sights together with your partner.
- Romantic Tour Around Obidos for Couples. A tour focused on the most romantic places in Lisbon, perfect for Valentines’ Day.
- 2 Hour Lisbon Sunset and Wine Sailing Tour. See Lisbon’s most beautiful landmarks from the sea during a 2-hour cruise (includes wine).
Romantic Hotels in Lisbon
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Lisbon (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: The Ivens Autograph Collection
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: Hotel da Baixa
- Budget Romantic Hotel: Tings Lisbon
Check all current hotel deals in Lisbon here.
12. Ljubljana, Slovenia
This small city in Slovenia offers couples plenty of romantic things to do. Explore Ljubljana’s old town centre, take a leisurely stroll along the banks of the Ljubljanica River or explore some of its many museums and galleries.
Ljubljana is known for its excellent food, with plenty of local Slovenian dishes to choose from.
Romantic things to do in Ljubljana
Take a romantic boat ride down the Ljubljanica River, explore the old town centre, visit some of its many museums and galleries, or take a leisurely stroll along its river banks.
Further romantic tour ideas:
- Private City Tour of Ljubljana. View the city’s main attractions including Prešeren square, the National Library, the Ljubljanica river and Three Bridges.
- Private Tour to Lake Bled – An Alpine Pearl. Lake Bled is a must-see for nature lovers, and is a beautifully romantic sight. Very in-depth private tour.
- Slovenian Food and Wine City walk in Ljubljana. Excellent local food tour with just you, your partner and your guide, plus lunch and snacks.
- Private tour of Venice from Ljubljana. Slovenia is very close to the romantic city of Venice in Italy. On this private tour you can tick off two countries in one day.
- Velenje mine underground dinner experience. Unique and romantic private experience in the special atmosphere of the Velenje mine, below the earth’s surface.
The Most Romantic Cities in Europe: Romantic Hotels in Ljubljana
Prices are very cheap in Slovenia (in comparison to Western Europe). Luxury hotels here often cost the same as budget hotels elsewhere, so check the prices of the luxury properties before you book!
These are my top picks for romantic hotels in Ljubljana (from Booking.com).
- Luxury Romantic Hotel: InterContinental – Ljubljana
- Mid-range Romantic Hotel: Hotel Cubo
- Budget Romantic Hotel: Hotel Heritage
Check all current hotel deals in Ljubljana here. You can usually get free reservations and free cancellation with Booking.com.
Map of the 12 most romantic cities in Europe.
The map below shows all the romantic cities listed in this post (in numbered order). Click the blue icons to see more information about each city. Click the star to add to your own Google Maps.
Europe is well known for its romantic cities. Whether it’s exploring majestic castles in Budapest, taking a romantic cable car ride over Lisbon or enjoying a boat ride on the Vltava River, Europe has many beautiful cities and experiences for couples who want to experience romance at its finest.
A European city on Valentines Day is sure to leave a lasting impression – especially if it’s your first time visiting Europe! You may also consider some of these cities as honeymoon destinations too.
The Most Romantic Cities in Europe: Pin it For Later
I hope this post has helped you to plan your romantic trip to Europe. See below for further travel advice:
Travelling soon? Check my 20 Must-Have Travel Essentials post before you go.
Found this post helpful? Buy Me a Coffee!
You are reading Hazel’s Travels – an online publication and travel blog which aims to provide advice and inspiration for travel in Europe, the UK and USA.Tags: city breaks, couples travel, Europe, Italy, romance, valentines